Candlemass is past, and Christmas is well and truly over, here in the UK February looks set to be its usual grey and cold self. Signs of spring are yet to emerge; if like me you long for them perhaps you need ways to get through these long dark days. So lets share a few tips for a cold and rainy/ snowy day….
1. Exercise, what do you do if you can’t face getting out into the cold and damp?
This is why I joined a gym, so I would get some regular exercise. The gym is in the building behind ours, so I only have to walk across the alley, and I’m there. I love swimming. Swimming has always comforted me and made me happy, so I’m very glad to have year round access to a pool now. Restorative yoga also helps.
2. Food; time to comfort eat, or time to prepare your body for the coming spring/summer?
My comfort food is macaroni and cheese and polenta, especially grilled polenta. Along with home baked bread and dairy products.
3. Brainpower; do you like me need to stave off depression, if so how do you do it?
My lightbox has been a Godde send. It has really helped me get through these dark gloomy days. Praying the Daily Office also helps me a lot.
4. How about a story that lifts your spirits, is there a book or film that you return to to stave off the gloom?
For movies anything by Hayao Miyazaki and Disney/Pixar along with Under the Tuscan Sun. For books anything by Neil Gaiman, Robin McKinley, and Little Women.
5. Looking forward, do you have a favourite spring flower/ is there something that says spring is here more than anything else?
Tulips, daffodils, and lilac.
Bonus; post a poem/ piece of music that points to the coming spring……
Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons, The Spring.